WRITTEN BY: ISOBEL ABBOTT-DETHROW and KYLIE WILSON
On April 20, 1999, the Columbine High School massacre occurred, and the United States’ stance on school safety has been fluctuating ever since. After this school shooting, countless more have occurred, along with the rise of mass shootings. Out of the over four hundred mass shootings that have occurred in the United States last year alone, ten massacres stand out for their high numbers of injured and killed. Sadly, most of these mass shootings involve school-aged children. In dated order, here are the top 10 deadliest shootings throughout 2018.
- On January 23, 2018, 15-year-old Gabriel Ross Parker went into Marshall County High School in Benton, KY, and opened fire on students, shooting 18 people. The victims’ age range was between 14 and 18 years old, with two killed and 16 injured. This is one of the first school shootings of 2018.
- Nikolas Cruz, 19 entered Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, on Valentine’s Day, and shot 17 students to death. Cruz was arrested and charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, as well as for having an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. This incident sparked the March for Our Lives movement and brought further media attention to gun control and the safety of schools across the country.
- On May 18, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis shot two substitute teachers and eight students at Santa Fe High School, who were all killed in this incident. This was one of the nation’s deadliest school shootings in 2018, next to the massacre that happened in Florida.
- At an arts’ festival in Trenton, NJ during June, one person died and 18 were injured after being shot. Suspects Tahaji Wells, 33, was killed by the police during the shooting, and Amir Armstrong, 23, was charged for weapons offenses.
- In Clearlake, CA, father Ricardo Garcia Lopez killed three of his four children. Their ages ranged from 9 months to 4 years of age. The oldest child, aged 5, was shot in the chest, but remained alive. Lopez later killed himself before police arrived on the scene.
- David Kurtz, 24, went to a video game tournament in Jacksonville, FL, and began shooting other gamers after losing a game. Three people were killed, and nine others were injured.
- In Bakersfield, CA, Javier Cazarez shot six people to death, including himself. He killed a man at a trucking business, killed his wife, as well as another man. He then went to confront a man and woman at a residence located near the trucking business, shooting them. In the end, he shot himself in the chest.
- In Columbia, TN, mother Cynthia Collier killed her four children and herself. The age range of her children were 7 to 16 years old. The October murder-suicide was unexpected by those in the Columbia community, according to Maury County Sherriff Bucky Rowland.
- Anti-Semite Robert Bowers, 46, killed 11 people at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. Bowers was inspired by two previous hate crimes and had a long history of antisemitism before opening fire on the synagogue. Bowers was charged with 29 counts of federal crime.
- Former Marine Ian David Long, 28, opened fire at a Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, California. Long killed 12 people, including a sheriff deputy and himself. The shooting occurred on the bar’s “Dignified Day,” where college kids typically went there to go hang out. One victim of the shooting had been caught in the crossfire of the Las Vegas shooting that occurred in 2017.
|January 23, 2018||Benton, KY||2||14||Gabe Parker|
|February 14, 2018||Parkland, FL||17||17||Nikolas Cruz|
|May 18, 2018||Santa Fe, TX||10||13||Dimitrios Pagourtiz|
|June 17, 2018||Trenton, NJ||1||17||Tahaji Wells, Amir Armstrong|
|August 11, 2018||Clearlake, CA||4||1||Ricardo Lopez|
|August 26, 2018||Jacksonville, FL||3||9||David Katz|
|September 12, 2018||Bakersfield, CA||6||0||Javier Cazarez|
|October 15, 2018||Columbia, TN||5||0||Cynthia Collier|
|October 27, 2018||Pittsburgh, PA||11||7||Robert Bowers|
|November 7, 2018||Thousand Oaks, CA||13||2||Ian Long|